|Locatie||Everett, Washington, Verenigde Staten|
|Lengte over alles||12.19 m|
|Lengte bij waterlijn||9.75 m|
|Max diepgang||2.69 m|
|Min. diepgang||1.5 m|
|Totaal zeilopervlak||827 ft²|
|Motor merk||Beta Marine|
|Aandrijving typ||directe aandrijving|
|Brandstoftanks||1 x 35 gelling|
|Zoetwater reservoirs||1 x 80 gelling|
|Afvalwatertanks||1 x 20 gelling|
The Sparkman and Stephens-designed Avance 40 is one of a limited number of this particular design ever built. Providence, Rhode Island based Sparkman and Stephens are renowned for their legendary sailboat designs - Hinckley, Swan and Tartan just to name a few. The Avance 40 was built in Finland with impeccable Scandinavian joinery, equaling or exceeding the Hallberg-Rasseys. The company was started by a few Swan veterans. In fact, the boat bears a remarkable resemblance to the Swan 39. Only 14 of the Avance 40's were brought to the US east coast and this boat is likely the only one on the West Coast.
This design is Offshore-Certified by Lloyds of London and is in virtually new condition. (see more complete list below) A few of the upgrades include: a brand-new synthetic teak deck (Flexiteek in 2020 by Sea Marine in Port Townsend), recent engine re-power (Beta Marine 38 in 2017, under 200 hours), and new B&G electronics in 2015 with NMEA 2000 connectivity. Her standing rigging was renewed when the 2nd owner re-commissioned her here in this area, after transport from the East Coast in the late '90's.
This is the keel/centerboard version of the design. The bronze centerboard is easily raised or lowered via manual winch on deck. At full draft of 8'10" she is a stiff competitor upwind. Her quick-disconnect inside forestay allows for easy tacking of the genoa (forestay disconnected) and an excellent shortened sail option with the genoa furled and the staysail deployed.
Other Highlights Include:
- Espar forced-air diesel heat
- Hull professionally painted in 2000
- Extra wheel - 10" larger diameter
- Renewed sails, including:
- Mainsail with full battens and 3 reef points and 3-year old Stack Pack
- Genoa (115%)
- Staysail, with quick-disconnect inner forestay
- Gennaker (spinnaker pole and whisker pole)
- New Transmission with engine re-power in 2017
- Electronics include B&G chart plotter (with integrated radar), SIMRAD AIS (send and receive)
- New upholstery
- New wiring
- New Stack Pack system for the main
- New lifelines with gates added
This is truly a one-of-a-kind find. And, her desirable permanent moorage in the Everett marina can be transferred to a new owner.
Please contact us in advance by email or at the numbers below for an appointment to view this outstanding offshore sailing yacht.
Upgrades by this Owner
Between Fall 2014 and early 2015, the entire electronics suite except the auto helm, was replaced. A NMEA 2000 backbone network was installed and the following instruments and transducers were added:
- B&G Zeus2 7” chart plotter and Triton 4” display in a NavPod housing at the helm
- Triton 4” display at the Nav station
- B&G ZG100 GPS antenna mounted on the stern
- Triton DST800 speed, depth and temperature transducer
- B&G 508 wind speed and direction sensor
- B&G Broadband 3G RADAR
- B&G GoFree WiFI module
- SIMRAD RS35 VHF Radio
- SIMRAD HS35 Wireless Handset (added in 2017)
The old Volvo-Penta MD-17D was replaced with a new BetaMarine 38 between Fall 2015 and Spring 2016. The Beta Marine reduced engine weight by 150 pounds, produces less emissions, burns less fuel and is easier and less expensive to maintain than the Volvo. At the same time, engine controls were updated including:
- Beta Marine ABVW Panel
- Tachometer with running hour recorder, waterproof push buttons for heat/start/stop, green light for ‘power on’, red warning lights and audible alarm for: low oil pressure, high water temperature, domestic and engine alternators no charge.
- VDO Fuel Gauge (Installed with new engine)
- VDO Water Temperature Gauge (Installed with new engine)
- Sea Star Side Mount engine throttle and gearbox control CH2100P (Installed with new engine.)
The 12V electrical system was extensively upgraded over the winter of 2014-2015 as part of the instrumentation upgrades. Wiring for all previous instruments was removed and new wire was run for all new instruments and sensors. Updates include:
- New breaker panel. Panel and common ground bars were manufactured by FrontPanel Express and all new BlueSea Systems A-series toggle breakers and analog voltage and amperage gauges were installed.
- New Dual Battery Bank Management panel with main battery switch from BlueSea Systems
- 2 new blade fuse panels were installed for instruments and accessories and all known in-line fuses were eliminated
- New SI-ACR (automatic charging relay) from BlueSea
- New accessory panel on Nav station panel with water tank gauge, dual USB charging ports and 12V charging port
2014: New Sony Marine DSX 50 stereo
2020: Cabin speakers replaced with Kenwood KFC-6966S speakers
Caribou’s deck went through a major refit between February 2018 and November 2019 at SeaMarine in Port Townsend including:
- The teak decking was replaced with Flexiteek
- All air vents/dorade boxes were replaced with Air Only vents
- Top deck was repainted
- Lifelines replaced and gates added both sides
- Wheel brake rebuilt with all new Edson parts.
- Pedestal bar feet and bracket replaced with new Edson parts
2015: Main Halyard replaced
2018: Stack-Pack system added for mainsail
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.