|Model||12 Metre Yacht|
|Locatie||Sydney, New South Wales, Australië|
|Lengte over alles||19.81 m|
|Lengte bij waterlijn||13.72 m|
|Max diepgang||2.74 m|
|Ontwerper||Miller & Valentjin|
|Bouwer||Steve Ward & Brian Raley|
AUSTRALIA - KA 5
INTERNATIONAL 12 METRE YACHT
AMERICA'S CUP CHALLENGER 1977 & 1980
Australia is a remarkable 12 Metre yacht. She is the only yacht throughout the history of the America's cup to have challenged on two occasions. Her first challenge was in 1977 against Courageous skippered by Ted Turner and her second in 1980, against Freedom skippered by Dennis Connor. A truly evocative yacht, credited with defining an era of 12 Metre America's Cup racing, culminating in the momentous victory by 'Australia II' in 1983. - Leigh Dorrington, Sydney.
The design for Australia was developed with the assistance of the Dutch University of Delf, using multiple tank test models. With a large bustle, low freeboard and innovative approach to locating ballast she was a forerunner to the famous Americas Cup winner Australia II.
In 2019 she was refurbished at great expense in preparation to compete the in the 12 Metre World Championships in Newport. Unfortunately, the plan failed to materialize and she was unable to join her old competitors, original stablemate and ultimate winner of the event, Challenge Twelve.
Receipts are available for the extensive refit undertaken in the fall of 2019. Removal, repair and painting of the mast and boom, dye testing of all the standing rigging, replacement of running backstays, check stays and halyards. Replacement of blocks, loops and all attachments.
The hull and deck and bottom were prepared, repaired and painted. Mechanical improvements included the installation of a new Yanmar engine, fuel tank, hoses bilge pump system and ancillary equipment.
Australia is ‘almost’ ready to compete. All she needs is a wardrobe of sails and Team Leader of a competitive crew with the willingness to ship her from Sydney to Newport, RI. As with her sister-ship in Newport she can be ‘dry-sailed’ for the summer regattas, culminating with the 12 Metre North American Championships in September, then ‘put to bed’.
Engine and Mechanical
- 2019 Yanmar 3JH5/ZF30; zero hours
- New engine controls, all hoses, fuel lines, control cables, start and gauge panel in cockpit
- New water strainer, exhaust hoses.
- New coupling
- 1100 GPH Automatic bilge pump
- 10-A regulator on solar panel for battery charging
- New 12 volt battery and cables to engine and controls
Sails and Rigging
- Invoices available for the following work carried out 2019;
- Removal and ‘stripping’ mast.
- Installation of new sheave box
- Etched, undercoat and final paint
- Dye testing of all rod rigging, cold-heads and turnbuckle inspection, cleaning and inspection of 17-4 clevis pins.
- New Dyneema backstay
- New Dyneema running backstays and check-stays spliced with reinforced thimbles
- Boom stripped, repaired and painted.
- All new halyards; main, 2 x genoa, 2 x spinnaker, topping and butt lifts.
- Seizing and leathers on spreaders
- Dated Dacron ‘cruising’ mainsail, genoa and spinnaker.
- 1 x 1100 GP 12v bilge pump
- 2 x manual bilge pumps
- 1 x 40L fuel tank installed 2019
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.